Whether a woman has a female health issue such as PCOS, uterine fibroids, endometriosis, menstrual conditions, menopausal symptoms or is hoping to start her family either naturally or with the assistance of ART (Assisted Reproduction Techniques), Chinese Medicine has much to offer.
Women choose Chinese Medicine for a wide range of conditions:
- Gynaecological conditions
- Reproductive health
- Pre-conception health
- Natural fertility treatment
- Monitored cycle fertility assessment
- IVF support treatment
- Pre/post embryo transfer acupuncture
- Pregnancy wellbeing
- Natural labour induction
- Post-partum care
- Well Woman programme
Women coming to Sherwood Healing Arts for fertility treatment, do so for the following reasons:
- Those who have decided to start a family and wish to start preparing in advance by regulating their cycles or boosting their wellbeing
- Those who will be starting their IVF treatments in the coming months and wish to prepare for their upcoming cycle the best they can
- Those who have failed a number of IVF cycles and are looking for a complementary approach which can provide support on the run up and during the treatment cycle
- Those who have decided that IVF is not – or no longer – a route they wish to go down, and would like to continue trying for a baby naturally.
- Those who have tried all the ART options available to them and none have worked and they have nothing to show for it except a diagnosis of “Unexplained Infertility”
- Those who have endured several miscarriages and want to do everything they can to safeguard their next pregnancy.
Supportive Treatment during ART (Assisted Reproductive Techniques)
Embarking on a path of ART, whether it be IUI, IVF, IVM, ICSI or any related technique, can be very demanding, stressful and expensive. Although the actual fertilisation process will be facilitated by the ART procedure, there is a lot we can do to enhance and support the success of this precious window of opportunity. Couples choose to undergo ART for many reasons and they will invariably have undergone several investigative procedures in the build-up to making this big decision. Common reasons for choosing ART include the following:
- Unexplained infertility
- Stress and infertility
- Poor egg quality
- Hormonal imbalance
- Luteal phase defect
- Poor endometrial quality
- Polycystic ovarian failure
- Advanced maternal age
- High FSH levels
- Uterine fibroids
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Autoimmune infertility
- Uterine fibrosis
- Secondary infertility
- Recurrent miscarriage
Many of the above conditions can be greatly improved or even resolved with a thorough course of Chinese Medicine treatment, especially if undertaken as a first option before procedures such as IVF, which can leave a legacy of additional disturbance on the finely balanced reproductive system.
However, time may be of the essence or the problem may be unresolvable such as completely blocked or permanently damaged fallopian tubes. In this instance, Chinese Medicine can still help enhance the chances of success with an ART procedure such as:
- Improving follicular quality and quantity for a more fruitful yield at egg collection
- Pre/post embryo transfer acupuncture
- Improving endometrial quality for a better chance of implantation
- Improving luteal phase viability
- Vitalising the blood to reduce early miscarriage
- Treating autoimmune reasons for subfertility
Treatment of infertility with Chinese Medicine, either as the primary or adjunct therapy, is both established and well-proven, with a growing and impressive body of evidence-based research to endorse what has been known and practised by CM physicians for many centuries.
Our experience has shown that getting the right physiological, nutritional and emotional support before, during and after ART procedures not only makes for a smoother experience but for greater chances of success.